So, I'll be on vacation (woot!) for the coming week which means a couple of things:
- I'll have limited Internet access, so don't expect a my LINKS post to be very long/exist next week.
- I'll have limited Internet access and don't plan on being able to get any work done. At all. Not too sure how I feel about that.
- My Thursday resolution to try out TweetDeck for twitter is gonna have to wait a while.
On a similar note, if any of you have any requests on how to better lay this post out or better formating or etc… lemme know.
Here we go: these are my links for February 26th through March 5th:
OMG! (and other news that broke this week)
- EMERALD NEWS STAFF STRIKES - News: The Daily Emerald newsroom unanimously walks out until they’re satisfied their board will not be putting them in a position where they can be censored.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is well known for his electrifying presentations. Communications coach Carmine Gallo discusses the various techniques…15 Useful Twitter Hacks and Plug-Ins For WordPress | How-To | Smashing Magazine: Some nifty hacks for wordpress and twitter. Prez Loves to Work the Phone - Politics news | Newser: Feels good to have a president that is both active and actively using basic technology. 85+ Tools & Resources for Freelancers and Web Workers: It’s an okay list that primarily relates to time tracking and billing Microsoft Office Labs vision 2019 (montage + video) - istartedsomething Google Tasks, a Standalone App: Looks like Google may be introducing a task manager soon. Here’s hoping it allows for some group collaboration! ## Online Journalism Recession? Local news sites are hanging tough: Great look at some/most? of the successful hyperlocal news startups. Online video storytelling and trends : Online Journalism Hulu Traffic Still Up Big After Super Bowl Spike: Hulu saw a huge spike in traffic after the Superbowl (perhaps because of their ad?), and has seen that traffic stay high – roughly 33% higher. Proves that good advertising not only works, but online,… Printed Matters Why SEO is still job #1 at news sites: On Google is your landing page and why your newspapers site needs to be a platform. Chicago Reader Blogs: Chicagoland: A long analysis of a Chicago townhall on what todo with the Trib. Points I don’t agree with: aggregation is bad, journalists aren’t to blame. Points I like: journos should be able to brand themselves… ## Journalism Business Models Newspapers: From No Profit to Non-Profits?: A wrap of how how the endowment business model may come into play. Business Models of News :: Innovation in Software :: The Vagueware Blog: Good summary of the current state/failure of newspaper advertising, including a quick macro list of how to fix it. Five ways newspapers can improve online ads | Knight Digital Media Center Weblog: I’ve actually mentioned all these ideas before, but this is a really handy list of ways for newspapers to make money. – That they’re not doing! Information Wants to Be Expensive - WSJ.com: Basically: information will be paid for if it’s unique and high-value. There’s gotta be a way to leverage this idea for freemium. The size of social networks | Primates on Facebook | The Economist: Apparently, Dunbar’s number holds true online as well as physically. Poynter Online - NewsPay: Knight CEO Bill Mitchel says: • Make way for a new establishment. • Think of media as a path to activism. • Imagine a smaller world. • Get creative with economic models for sustaining news. The ethical journalist's guide to selling ads on a website: Part one: Ethics and basic introduction for journalists trying to advertise online.
- Yahoo! Previews Powerful News Advertising Platform: Seems like a good idea to me. Yahoo provides the ad distribution network and newspapers provide the ad selling power.
- Yahoo Teams With Newspapers to Sell Ads - NYTimes.com: The Yahoo - Newspaper ad collaboration deal seems to be working out well.
- Pew Research Center: Newspapers Face a Challenging Calculus: Apparently, newspaper readership has declined in the last 2 years both online and in print. Though, this number might not include aggregators ∴ who really knows.
- Content Bridges: Paid Newsday? Parsing What It Means...and Those 4.5 Minutes: The reason why Newsday paid content will fail is not because of low engagement, but because the newsroom doesn’t do online right to begin with!